Have you heard of storm chasers? No, we’re not referring to the people who track the latest thunderstorms and tornados for video footage. Instead, we’re talking about those guys who show up at your front doorstep after a major storm.
They seem to come out of nowhere and can be seen knocking on doors all around your neighborhood. They’ll tell you that you need a new roof due to hail damage, but here’s the thing—most of the time, these guys are not quality roofers. You probably suspected as much yourself.
If you’ve dealt with a storm chaser, you may have heard that you need a new roof to the tune of $2,000. This amount adds up your typical deductible for damage, and you might also be asked to let them meet the adjuster at your house.
In this situation, you’re likely wondering what to do next. Before you do anything, start by figuring out if you really have any hail damage at all.
How to Identify Hail Damage
The average cost of repairing hail and storm damage comes in at around $5,757. That’s not exactly something to sneeze at and definitely not an amount you want to throw away on shoddy roof work.
What makes identifying hail damage tricky is that you can’t tell with just a quick glance most of the time. Instead, you’ll need to look for these tell-tale internal and external signs.
Internal Warning Signs:
- Leaking from your ceiling
- Signs of water damage
- Spots and cracks in the ceiling
Keep in mind internal damage is often the most costly and time-consuming so call a reputable roofer immediately if you notice something.
External Warning Signs:
- Roof debris in your yard
- Loose, missing or torn shingles
- Pocked mark in metal on gutters
- Leftover hail in the gutters
- Dings and dents in roof metal and shingles
If you have some or all of these signs, it’s likely that your roof will need replacement or at least repairs.
How to Find a Reputable Roofer
First things first. Never sign a contract or pay a roofer before your roof has been properly inspected. If you suspect something less than professional is going on, get a second opinion.
Unfortunately, getting your money back can be a next-to-impossible nightmare with some of these fly-by-the-night types.
Of course, to get your roof fixed, you’ll need a reputable roofing team on your side. But how do you find the right team to get the job done?
Here’s the best way to vet your roofer:
- Get references from people you trust like friends, family and neighbors
- Check the Better Business Bureau for recommendations, contact information and ratings
- Search references online for reviews, feedback and background information
- Meet with your top references in person
- Review their work and ask to see a portfolio
- Ask about their warranty and insurance information (look for comprehensive liability and workers’ compensation insurance)
- Make sure they provide an estimated timeline and date of completion
- Put everything in writing before you approve any projects or pay
You’ll also need to get in touch with your insurance company and file a claim for damages. Ask your insurance company about using factory-certified inspectors. They may have a specific policy you need to follow before one single repair can be done.
Don’t forget the importance of regular roofing maintenance and repairs. Juneau Odenwald Roofing, Inc. can help you tackle big and small roofing problems. Our licensed and fully bonded team will get your roof back in tip-top shape. To learn more about our roofing replacement services, contact us at (504) 733-0331.